Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Using my children to lesson plan.

I came to a great realization this evening!!! My children can make my lesson plans for me!

As I was reading their bedtime story, I stopped periodically to have my kids predict, look at format, sentence structure, and synonyms for the title of the book First Day Jitters. I've done this type of thing often; last week I taught them onomotopeia (sp) as we read about bees buzzing and clothes zipping.  But it struck me tonight, that I could use them to lesson plan!

Tomorrow is the first day of school so the book seemed appropriate for bedtime.  It was not the first time they had heard it, but being the teacher that I am, I said, "It's the first time I'm reading it to you so listen to my voice and see if you notice differences from last time you heard the story read aloud."  (On a side note... I'd like to thank Heather Radar from Choice Literacy.  Those words came from her book Side by Side which is one of the fabulous professional reads I enjoyed this summer.) I plan to share it with a group of 5th graders I'll be working with tomorrow, so as I was reading it out loud tonight, many ideas came to me for the lesson I will use. 

I'm excited to share my love of reading with the new students that I will meet tomorrow.  Though they will not be "my" students this year, I will invest all that I have to build confidence in their ability to read and comprehend.  And now that I have (a bit) more time in the evenings to read to my own kids, I will be using them to help me lesson plan for the students who need my help each day in the classroom.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment