Thursday, August 2, 2012

Welcome back, me!

WOW!! I have not blogged since April!  Don't know how I feel about that: am I happy that my life is so full and busy or do I wish I had more time for myself?  Either way, I'm hoping to get back into a routine which this academic year, will include blogging.

As I begin my thirteenth year teaching, I'm having mixed emotions for sure! This year I will not welcome students into my classroom which I have spent hours wanting to decorate and make the most perfect and warming environment possible.  I will not choose the perfect outfit to greet my new 7th graders at the door for the first time and hope that by my appearance they can tell I will love and respect them with everything in me; as I would want my own children's teachers to do for them.

Instead, this year I will stand as a bathroom guard for the students making their final trip before the homeroom bell, outside of my office that (has no AC) will never see the likes of a bunch of students eager to learn the in's and out's of great writing and literacy.  This year, I resume as a teacher in a whole different context.  I will be the teacher who goes into a classroom to help those most struggling readers understand the beauty of words on a page and I just may help one or two teachers this year to understand the beauty of getting their students to understand the words on the page.  Sound confusing?  I'm not quite sure about my role either at this time.  :-)  What I do know is that I pursued this path of Literacy Coaching and I chose the (hot) office over the classroom so with all change come nerves about the unknown; and that's likely the position I'm in. It's going to be a year worth of reflection and learning for sure.  I'm hoping that as I continue to blog, my feelings become more positive about the impact that I am making and the confidence in my ability that I am gaining, beacuse right now, I'm not feeling too confident.  But it will come; I'm sure.  Right?

Now I'm off to choose my best outfit for bathroom duty! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Of course it will come... you are one amazing influence! It surely is scary to enter into new territory, but you have the right skills and the right attitude to conquer it! I am looking forward to working more closely with you this year! You always make me think of how I can be a better educator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, welcome back! I hope you've enjoyed your summer with your kiddos. It's been quite an adventure for me - and starting potty training with two year olds? Whoa - quite an adventure!!!

    Change is always scary, but guess what? The nervousness shows how much you care! You will step right in and do what is right for your students. It will be an amazing year of ups and downs, but I think it's an awesome idea to take time to reflect on your own learning -- whether privately or here publicly. :)

    Remember your "about me" -- your wrote: "I still manage to wake up with a smile and find pleasure in life's little things." Keep that as your perspective for the year! Great advice!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete