Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Teacher Strike

My alma mater is a district on strike right now.

I'm torn about how I feel.  On the one hand, I support the teachers who are defending what we deserve.  On the other hand, how could teachers walk out on their students, leaving the schools in chaos.  The news is reporting that there are 140 substitute teachers replacing the 380+ who are striking.

On day 2 of the strike, in the district which I earned my diploma from, the district in which I currently reside, and send 3 kids to school in, made local breaking news.  Our superintendent, just today, signed an $83,000 signing bonus.  This on the heals of yet another levy being placed on the May ballot.  The last 5 levies have failed. What today's news shows our already non-supporters is this: Why should my tax dollars pay your teacher's salaries when our superintendent just received the equivalent of 2 teacher's salaries in return for his signature.

I'm just torn tonight.  The district I work in seems to be doing OK, but I never in a million years thought I would be so close to these other events.  My thoughts are jumbled tonight. I certainly did not get into education for this.

I hope tomorrow brings better news and a more positive outlook.

4 comments:

  1. A strike is a difficult thing. It's hard on teachers, it's hard on kids, it's hard on families. However - and I don't know the particulars of this district - sometimes people have to stand together to make a change. Hoping all sides come to an agreement soon. Hoping tomorrow brings positive news for you.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The issue of strikes has come up at our lunch table and I have felt the same quandry that you express here. Could I do that to "my kids"? For me, it would be tough. They didn't do this to me so I feel like it would be tough for me to hurt them by refusing to teach them. Then again, Cathy is right; sometimes we just have to stand up for things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no one wins in a strike and the real losers are the children. We're almost in the same boat and I'm heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The signing bonus is a slap in the faces of the teachers. Strikes are hard, but sometimes we have to say, respect us.

    ReplyDelete