Thursday, March 28, 2013

Life Lessons Never Anticipated

I know there's a book about life lessons, it might even be titled that, but I learned a valuable lesson recently; one that you would never find in a book.  We need to teach our children not to pick up dirty undergarmets when they see them lying on the sidewalk. 

Yesterday, while cleaning out my son's bookbag after school, I came upon a sock.  It was a large sock, a man-size black, a turned inside out, dirty sock. My son "found" it, so he put it in his bookbag. Who would have ever thought that I would have to teach my childen that was something we just don't do.  "It's very dirty", I said, "We don't know where that's been," I reitterated.  Then, I LAUGHED! I told my husband I never could have dreamed that when I was teahing my children not to touch a hot stove, or to look both ways before crossing a street, that I would also have to teach them to leave dirty socks on the ground. It's just one of those things. 

This lesson is still making me laugh today so I had to write about it.  My boys have brought home broken pencils, scraps of paper, rocks, all kinds of treasures.  But the sock was the icing on the cake! Having "teachable moments" like the one yesterday which evolved from the sock is one of the millions of reasons I love being a mom.  My kids make me laugh daily!! I love the life lessons they teach me!

1 comment:

  1. That is so interesting! He sounds like a collector or finder of lost things! You never know what you might have to teach them!

    ReplyDelete