Thursday, March 15, 2012

Disappointed in Myself This Morning.

It's Thursday and you'll notice from my sidebar that I haven't written since Monday.  I'm disappointed by that. This challenge was something I really wanted to do for myself.  I don't have any excuse except that the weather has finally been nice so I've been enjoying lots of outside time, and my family is just plain busy.  But we're always busy as a family, so that's really not a very good excuse.

I've been in a lot of classrooms this week modeling lessons for other teachers.  My favorite was a SpEd class called Bridges.  There are only 5 students in this class: they are ED (which we call Bridges), all boys, and range in ages from 10-13 (grades 5-8).  I have worked with this group a number of times and enjoy every experience. For this lesson I was introducing examing characters in fiction.  I wanted to make a key to show the relationship between many characters in one plot.  So I asked the question, with markers and paper in hand and the characters already drawn and an explanation of what we were doing,  in other words it was very clear what I was looking for, "How do I make a key?"  The answer, "You go to Target and ask them to make you a key."  Now whether or not Target really makes keys I don't know, but this child (a 7th grader) was being serious in his very literal answer.  It made me chuckle.  I love these kids!  I proceeded with that teachable moment by explaining setting.  Did his answer match the setting of our class and what we were trying to accomplish?

Although I hadn't planned a lesson on setting, we had a great conversation about it which then developed into my lesson on characters.  The moral of this blog is why I love teaching! Kids bring great joy to my day! I love what I learn from them!! :-)

1 comment:

  1. Time with family, a great lesson shared and you are back to writing! That's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete