Monday, March 5, 2012

Let Me Hold You Longer

Yesterday's blog made me reflect on my feelings.  Please don't misunderstand me. I LOVE the people my children are growing up to be.  They are thoughtful, kind, compassionate, funny, and smart. They have their moments, for sure, but are overall great kids!! I don't want to hold them back from growing up; I want to help them do it with confidence and grace.  The book that I referenced yesterday is this one:

When I said that they grow up fast, I meant it. But I am enjoying watching them grow. I am a nostalgic person, I'm emotional and I cry. But I cry happy tears beacause of the beautiful people my children are becoming. I get my confidence from my daughter. I watch the way she interacts with people, the way she is kind to everyone and the most non-judgmental person I know. I get my sense of adventure from my youngest son. He is a daredeveil, willing to take chances to expeience new things. My want to help others comes from my oldest son. He is most happy when he knows he is being helpful, especially to an adult.  So although my children don't need me to hold their hand when they visit the dentist, I need them to help me be the best person I can be.

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! I love that you're doing this. I have been so emotional over the kids getting older and how quickly the time goes. I wish I could go back and do it all again, with the knowledge that it all turns out okay so I could maybe not worry as much.

    - Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching my two year olds growing and learning, but it seems to just go by so fast. . . and that is the reminder we need to slow down and choose the kids. (Stacey wrote a slice about this too!) I love how you learn/gain qualities from your kids as opposed to seeing your qualities in them.

    My local library doesn't have the book. Amazon, here I come! Thanks for the title! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Not an easy thing to do, but being reflective is so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you try to emulate the traits you admire in your kids. But I ask, how did they develop those traits to begin? There must have been a role model for them to watch and learn from, right mom?

    ReplyDelete