Friday, March 9, 2012

Opening Minds

I am currently reading quite a few books at one time: 3 for the classes I teach, 1 for professional development, and 1 for pleasure. I have a system.

The one for pleasure I read while on the treadmill or bike at the gym.  Since it's my "pleasure" book, it makes me want to work out so that I can read. 

The books I'm reading for my classes are books I'm working on in conjunction with the teachers. While it's important for me to know the plot, I can gain a lot of valuable information just in conversation.

The book for PD is actually the topic of today's blog. I am about to start reading Opening Minds, by Peter Johnston a book that I think might be worthwhile reading for my staff. Have any teachers out there ever read this book and if so can you offer me any advice or suggestions on presenting it to staff? I kind of offered to lead a book study.  Has anyone ever led a book study?  This is new territory for me. I know the word "leader" is on my teaching license, but the thought of leading a group of my peers makes me very nervous.  What if no one shows up?

If anyone has anything to share on this topic, I'd love to hear it! I'm very open minded! :-)

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad the 'What if no one shows up' didn't keep you from trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Opening Minds yet but it's on my list. I saw Peter Johnston speak two years ago and it was fantastic. I can only the imagine that the book will be great. I have facilitated a few books studies with teachers. It has always proven to be a great experience. The people who show up want to be there and will make it easy to "lead". The first step is often to agree together on which pages you'll read and by which dates and times to meet. Often, the rest falls into place very easily with teachers. SNACKS are a must! They don't need much push to get conversation running. It can be helpful though to come up with an opener/closer for sessions (so they have a beginning and end) and protocols together on how the book club will run. I used to prepare discussion questions but have found that I haven't needed them. People want to talk books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I'm not in it for the prizes either - and I appreciate that you just want to participate for yourself.)
    I have led a book study before - a professional one - and I found that a great opener is just a reflection from each participant about what the take away was for them about the chapter or book or portion you are working on and then a question about what they would like to discuss more. Then the session leads itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice!! Thank you!!! I love that Dana suggested having an opener and closer and then the next reply was examples of opener and closers. And snacks!!! Yes!! Perfect!! Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That book is on my TBR list. I loved his book Choice Words. Good luck with your book discussion.

    ReplyDelete